Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thinking about clicks

Not petty circles of friends who exclude the "unworthy" of the day - that's another topic. Today I found a site using Stumble called dontclickit.com. The site is a tool for a project that tests peoples' mouse clicking reflexes and to see if they can overcome them.

I thought it was great. The goal is to navigate the interface without ever clicking your mouse. Instead of clicking on things, you simply roll your mouse over something and new boxes open. Conveniently, though, you can always see the background with the link choices on it so you never feel abandoned by the homepage.

I admit I clicked, but just once. When you do accidentally (or intentionally) click on something, the screen turns into some sort "The Ring" - type fuzz and a message pops up asking to you fess up, was your click intentional or not? Mine was because I wanted to leave a message for the site creators telling them how smooth and cool I thought their concept was. Imagine never having to use a mouse again. Anyway, as I went to put my text into the comment field, I slipped because I didn't see a flashing cursor. Now I know better.

There are areas on the site that talk about ways to activate buttons by rolling your mouse in different directions and statistics on how long people stayed on the site without clicking, their favorite areas to roll into and statistically, how many visitors to the site liked what they experienced.

To me, it felt like floating in a website, which was delightful. Try it out. Maybe one day all sites will be like this one.

No comments: